Thank you for visiting the building department. Here you can download forms or contact our building department directly.
The mission of the Town of Sewall’s Point Building Department is to provide a resident-friendly, efficient operation that will enforce the industry standards for the protection of life, health, welfare, public safety and general well-being throughout our built environment. We work vigorously to preserve our neighborhoods through an efficient unbiased code enforcement program that is designed to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living condition that will improve property values and enhance the quality of life for the residents in the Town of Sewall’s Point.
The Building Department provides timely, knowledgeable, and comprehensive plan review, and inspections of buildings in the process of construction, alteration or renovation. We are committed to assuring compliance with the Florida Building Code, the Town of Sewall’s Point Code of Ordinances, and for conformity with approved plans and permitted documents. This will maximize the safety of all buildings during every day use, and most importantly during any emergency situation such as a hurricane or flood.
The Building Department is responsible for permitting, inspecting, enforcing, and complete record keeping of the building permit process. Building Department staff performs routine inspections on all new construction projects, makes special inspections of unsafe buildings, investigates improper and un-permitted work, and attends pre-construction and in progress jobsite meetings with contractors and design professionals. We also are the custodians of a comprehensive archive of all building permit plans, surveys and construction related documents in town.
John R. Adams, C.B.O.
John has over 30 years experience in the construction industry, with the last 15 years in building code enforcement. He is a Certified Building Official and licensed as a Building Code Administrator, Plans Examiner and a multi-disciplined Building Inspector through the State of Florida DBPR.
- Plans, organizes and directs all of the operations and activities of the Building Department.
- Provides first-line supervision to the Building Inspector and the Building Department Clerk.
- Reviews all building permit application plans and construction documents for compliance with the Florida Building Code and the town’s Code of Ordinances.
- Meets with and advises Developers, Design Professionals, Contractors and Property Owners regarding all Land Development Regulations and procedures within the town.
Building Department Clerk
Valerie was previously in real estate sales and has over 14 years experience as an administrative assistant in human resources. She has been with the town since April 2006, and is working toward a Building Permit Clerk certification through the International Code Council.
- Provides general and specific information regarding building department regulations.
- Checks for sufficiency and prepares all building permit applications for review.
- Issues all building permits, schedules inspections, and records all inspection results.
- Maintains a database of contractors and subcontractors license and insurance records. Provides a liaison between department staff, contractors and property owners.
Building Department Forms
Building Permit Applications
Information, Policies and Fees
Town Plat Maps
FEMA: Flood Insurance and the Community Rating System
Stormwater Pollution Prevention
The Florida Building Code Online: